People say a lot of stupid shit at pivotal points in life. (Mental responses in blue)
About marriage or commitment:
- “Good luck with the ball and chain..” (Good luck at the bars with all the college kids.)
- “Is it weird that you’ll never sleep with anyone else again your entire life?” (Is it weird that you’ll likely have those STDs for the rest of your life?)
About having your first kid:
- “Sleep while you can..” (Go fuck yourself)
- “Hope you enjoyed your freedom..” (Sure have. And while you’re 50 with kindergartners, I hope you enjoy yours. I’ll email you from Tahiti and tell you all about it.)
And then about having another:
- “Having two kids is not double the work, it’s quadruple.” (Wow. Did you take basic math?)
I mean really, people.
I bet if you asked a mother of four she’d say it feels a little different than the days of when she had two. Just a guess. For sure, having two is no joke. It’s a juggling act I’m managing as skillfully as I can right now. And some days I definitely get it handed to me.
But at this point, I’m not buying the: “What’s one more?” So don’t try me.